Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Identified Patient

In his testimony at Rep. Murt's hearings on child labor laws in PA, Kevin Kreider spoke of one particular child of eight who has gained a reputation for being difficult. In the field of psychology, counselors sometimes find there's one family member in particular who is treated as the crazy, annoying, or bratty one but who upon further examination is actually the healthiest member of the family. When we see this phenomenon, the scapegoated family member is called the Identified Patient.

In therapy, the identified patient is the one who protests, fights, argues and disagrees because they are unwilling to be phony or play the game. They're the therapy client who finally tells on that wacky uncle who everyone jokes is just a little bit off but who everyone really knows deep inside has been molesting the family's children for three generations. Or they're the one who gets sober and goes to AA and now the rest of the family calls them a dud and a party pooper because they're just no fun to be with anymore. Sometimes the family insists that this crazy family member get help, although usually the IP seeks counseling on their own because they can no longer tolerate the family denial. They may be the least popular family member, but from a mental health perspective they're the healthiest because they've got the integrity, mental health and courage to expose the family problems and try to get help.

Imagine that you are a child under ten on a "reality" TV show. You know you're doing something important for the family because it makes money for everyone you love the most (and you've heard so many times about how important money is) but you absolutely hate it. You have to go to boring places and keep your hair and clothes neat and perfect and pretend to be happy and having a good time when you'd rather be anywhere else. Strangers have taken over your home so that there is rarely a quiet family meal or other beloved private family time together. Cameras are permanently installed everywhere in your home including in your bedroom and your bathroom, so that even when there's no cameraman with you, the cameras may be being controlled remotely from outside the house. You're a petite girl, and adults who are new to you and are usually men are allowed to follow you alone into the woods behind your house, the little slanted playhouse you were told was just yours to play in, or any room in your home, with a camera, and tape everything you do. And through it all you must smile, smile, smile.

Imagine the burden living this way would put on even the most mature, stable and self-confident of adults. Then imagine how it would feel to be immature, confused, and wanting to be loved more than anything else in the world, which is what childhood is like.

So my message to you, Little One, is this: You keep yelling and screaming and doing whatever you have to do to let it be known that you want and need your own thoughts and feelings and privacy and family. You are not crazy, annoying or bratty, and there are people who care and understand.

The purpose of this entry is not to blame, shame or point the finger at anyone. We're all a product, to at least some little degree, of where we came from. Most times in these situations no one has intentionally set out to hurt anyone else. But it is what it is. And because it is, we need better child labor laws to protect children.

13 comments:

mommyinca said...

WG~ That brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for this post. It was very moving.

Blogger staying Anonymous said...

Wow, your post just hit something in me.

The IP describes a lot about me and my family situation. I was the one who wanted to get healthy when my other family members were struggling with denial and living in dysfunction. I'm the one who wants to talk about the elephant in the room when everybody else just tries to ignore it. I'm the one who refuses to be fake.

Wow, just wow. So where does one go after being identified as the IP?

IATK said...

Oh, WG, your comment was so tender, yet so strong. What a heart-warming thought and I'm so very touched. Let's hope the little one can make her way through this awful storm. Thank you.

Pamela Jaye said...

I haven't heard the terminology before, but in the past, when said dear child fought back in public and I guess was subjected to some name calling that I obviously missed, someone else pointed out that she had a good teacher (In a children learn what they live kind of way).

I can't recall whether the came up with the IP "diagnosis" or not, but I think people stopped ragging on her (if they even were) and rallied round.
I continue to root for She Who Was Called Names From the Very First Ep I Ever Saw.
(compare to EJ Hayes who didn't learn to swim as fast as his siblings but his parents were very kind and loving in the way they described him. I can only imagine what Kate would have called him. So what are the laws for kids on reality shows in NJ?)

Anonymous said...

I remember the episode where this child hung a sign on her bedroom door that said "No cameras allowed."

NancyB said...

Bless you, Werny Gal! This is such a powerful and heartbreaking and truthful post. That says it ALL. Remember @ the crazy Bday party for the tups last year & they were taking a family picture, and Kart said, it may be the last one. One twin did not want to be in the picture but finally agreed and one second after picture was taken she high tailed out of camera range!

Dianew said...

Beautifully stated!

Amen!

GeorgiaMom said...

The truth. I used to think this child was a brat, but as time progressed, I figured out this was just a way of fighting back. Bravo. Her sister, on the other hand, is much more introverted and does not seem happy----depressed perhaps? Bottom line, these kids are at present a mess and it will only get worse if Jon and Kate Gosselin are allowed to continue filming them.

Werny Gal said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I think all of us, even those who haven't been scapegoated in their families, know to some degree how frustrating, invalidating and crazymaking it feels to try to get along with someone who is pretending everything's fine while you both can clearly see that the shit's hit the fan, the elephant is is the room, and the cat's on fire.

Bloggerstaying..., what can you do? Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for a lot of people. They try to get along because they love their families/partner or whoever the person in denial is, but eventually it gets to the point where it's just not worth jeopardizing their mental health. It's always a good idea to build a support system of people who understand the real you and love you for being your true self. It's ideal if that includes your family of origin, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way because as we all know we can't choose our birth families. If it gets bad enough you can choose to either get your emotional needs met through your true friends/chosen family, and keep just superficial social contact with your family while no longer trying to get your needs met there because it only causes upsets, or break it off entirely. IMO each person should do what is best for their particular needs and circumstance, and it's no one else's job to decide for them or judge them about that. We all have the right to get our emotional needs met.

TVSnark said...

What a wonderful post. I'm so happy to see this.

My initial reaction to "J&K+8" was positive. I loved the show and their interaction. However, when I started seeing things that bothered me I went online. The first thing I saw were Web pages dedicated to said child. Just a google search of this tiny girls' name showed, B*&^#, Brat, Mentally Ill, BiPolar, etc.

AS A MOTHER, I would have stopped the show THEN AND THERE. Nope, they continued to stereotype the child and made her reputation even worse.

On camera the child was told "someday you will have a nice smile." As a parent with a kid who will soon need braces, I can tell you that a smile has nothing to do with the straightness of the teeth but with the light behind the eyes. I see that light when the kids are with Jon. I see fear when they are with Kate.

WernyFan said...

To All and Myself,

Do you ever step back and think all of his are spending too much time on this entire issue? Aren't we all a little too interested? How much time to you (me) spend reading and contributing to all of this Gosselin stuff. Catching up on all the blogs and such? I know I am a little addicted to all of this. And I don't just spend a few mins a day checking out the good and not so good sites. Today, after JW pulled this latest stunt, I just feel almost sad, for all of us.

That's all.

Thanks.

WERNY FAN

TVSnark said...

Although I've been accused of being online 24/7, I'm not. I no longer read the blogs at work (I used to but our workload increased) and I only read this blog, 15 minutes and jibberjabbers. I don't click on links or post on tabloid sites.

I think we are all very passionate about this and that is why we all spend too much time blogging about this.

WHat did JW do??

Werny Gal said...

Don't feel bad TVsnark, I write this blog and I don't know what he did either, other than finally finding a local apartment which is a good thing. I've had a flurry of entries here in the past couple of days but normally I am not nearly this active. I am very interested in continuing to focus on the child labor law angle in this blog. My gossippy entries seem to only lead to in-fighting and although it can be amusing, in the long run where does it get us? I am encouraged by the hearings and the positive, real changes that may take place as a result of them. In this way, the Gosselins may have actually contributed something very real and positive to our community, even if inadvertantly.